NYS Collision Reports

FAQs: About Collisions

Q: Need an accident report for insurance purposes?

An insurance company will obtain copies of Police Accident Reports (form MV-104A) from the New York Department of Motor Vehicles (DMV) when processing an insurance claim. If you need a copy of a Police Accident Report, for your NYC car accident attorney, follow the guidlines listed below:

NYS Thruway Collisions:
New York State Thruway, I-87 South of Albany, I-90 West of Albany & the Berkshire Spur East of Albany) and I-84, I-190 and Westchester County portions of both I-287 & I-95, shlould be requested the New York State Thruway Authority. The form required (Request for accident report (ta-w4310).

Road Collisions:
For road collisions on New York State roads or highways other than the Thruway must be made to DMV. The form required (MV-198C).

Agency Investigated Collisions:
For Road Collisions” contact the investigating police agency directly. NYS Police Contact Information.

Civilian Accident Report
Drivers involved in an accident will complete and submit a “Report of a Motor Vehicle Accident,” also referred to as a (form MV-104), to DMV in the mail. This “Exchange of Information” form is issued to those injured in the accident by State Troopers at the accident scene.

What should I do at the accident scene?
In the events of an accident, drivers must stop and exchange information. Accident causing property damage must exchange driver license, insurance, and registration.

If the property damage is $1,001 or more, drivers must file form MV-104 (Report of Motor Vehicle Accident with the DMV no more than 10 days after the accident. The DMV can suspend your driver license if you fail to report an accident.

Injuries and fatalities must immediately notify the police. NYS police must file an accident report with the DMV. It is a crime to leave an accident scene that causes personal injury or death.

The DMV does not try to determine fault in an accident. If there’s a question of fault, contact a car accident lawyer in New York for a consultation. Know your rights, speak to an attorney before your speak to an insurance company.

This entry was posted in Accident Rearended, Auto Accident, Car Accident, Car Accident Attorney, NYC injury lawyer, personal Injuries, personal injury, personal injury attorney, personal injury lawyer and tagged , , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

You may use these HTML tags and attributes: <a href="" title=""> <abbr title=""> <acronym title=""> <b> <blockquote cite=""> <cite> <code> <del datetime=""> <em> <i> <q cite=""> <strike> <strong>